Matt Donahue

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Flogging Molly

Katie and I saw a great show last night- we stopped at Polly's on U Street for burgers and beer before hand - cozy place but their beer selection was decimated, they were out of everything accept Sierra and Anchor Steam, it could be worse. After eating we headed over to the 9:30 Club to see Flogging Molly. The Riverboat Gamblers, followed by Hot Water Music opened the show. I wasn't too impressed with the Gamblers, not my type I guess, but Hot Water Music were great; they sounded like a Face to Face/Bad Religion combo with some Dicky Barrett-ish vocal style. I'll be searching for some material from them. FM came on at 10 pm- and rocked. This was our third time seeing them and it was the best show yet. Despite having laryngitis, Dave King was energetic and on target- swilling a mug of Jameson probably helped him? Katie and I were totally cracking up about this strange foursome group in front of us- it seemed like two couples but the women kept switching places? - sharing the guys, it was weird to have that sort of PDA going on. Several folks around us were aware as well- each to his or her own I suppose.

Again, another day of no riding. I've decided I'd like to convert my surly Karate Monkey into trails mode. This will consist of dropping the big ring down to a 32 and getting some fat 29" tires to replace the cyclocross skins that are on there now. I'm looking forward to getting this bike on the trails- the few times I've ridden it off road in its current set up it has been a blast.

2 Comments:

  • funny....

    I had been day dreaming about getting a new cross bike...
    my old Jamis Nova is really too small for me
    not to mention the there are other issues....
    then I thought?
    hey? I should just buy a new geared 29er, and convert my rigid monkey into a front shock single and my geared monkey into a cross bike...
    but
    that was just day dreaming

    By Blogger gwadzilla, at 3:26 PM  

  • The KM's versatility leaves lots of room for day dreaming. I'm jazzed to try it out on the trails with fat tires and the correct gearing ratio- the nice feel of steel.

    BTW nice blog!

    By Blogger Matt Donahue, at 4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home