Matt Donahue

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Winter Training

I've been trying my best to stick to a regular training schedule over the past couple of months. It's a challenge. Getting out there on those cold mornings is tough. Getting the right gear together for the temperature means constant changes in layers and gear choices. One thing that deffinitely helps is having neighbors who ride the same commute. Knowing that someone else is waiting for you to show up is one of the better motivational factors, we meet and ride/suffer together.

On the other hand, for those days when the timing doesn't work or I'm too lazy to get outside, the trainer has been there. I'm riding on a Kurt Kinetic trainer. There's a good review of this machine here.

I rate this as a good workout, but I have not been tracking my workouts with any sort of training device such as a powermeter or a heart rate monitor. So whether I am really doing a real workout is questionable- I do sweat alot though. Those two items are something I should consider getting. In fact I have a heart rate monitor, but the little transmitter belt is lost. So I've been doing the sessions by feel- a typical workout is 15 min warmup, 12 min hard effort 1 minute cool down, 15 min hard effort, 2 minute cool down and so on for just over an hour.

The first race is in 7 weeks...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home