Matt Donahue

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Secret Service Patch Hook-up

I actually got out for a ride this AM. Dodging the rain showers and started doing some hills, was up by American University since everything in Rock Creek is a total mess- roads closed, trees down, mud and debris all over the place. It's been a while since I've seen the Creek that high, the waterfall at Pierce Mill wasn't there- in that, the water is so high, the existence of the falls caused only a minor bump (OK well, a major bump- but still not a water fall). It's pretty nuts that a 5-6 foot waterfall just disappears.

So I'm up near AU and I get a flat. No biggie right? but alas, I could not find my spare tube in my commuter bag. I rolled down the hill toward downtown DC - It's a big hill mind you. At the Vice Presidential Residence two bike-mounted secret service guys came up behind me- "Why are you going so slow on that racing bike buddy?"

I explained the flat tire and lack of tube. One of the guys had a patch kit, and offered it up. Nice! These guys were really cool, who knew? They hung out and talked bike stuff while I patched the hole,and started pumping. Then the damned pump broke. What a day. I told them things were good and that there was enough air in the tire to get me where I needed to go. I didn't want to waste any more of their time, they are supposed to be patrolling after all? It was cool talking to those guys though, there always seems to be a distance between them and other folks on bikes, at least from my perspective.

I did find out that the Secret Service buys bikes direct from Trek on a Govt. contract- night rider lights and all... I wonder if they get a discount. HA!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home